Raise your hand if you’ve ever gone to the grocery store all kinds of amped up about how great and healthy you’re going to eat, and ready to make over your sad junk filled pantry. You know you want all the healthy foods. You’re ready to commit. Then, $273 later, you’ve got a ton of weird ass sh*t in your bags and no idea what to do with it. Except you really know that 90% of it is going to collect dust at the bottom of your pantry for the next two years. And the other 10% is going to be forgotten in your produce bin in the fridge.
What went wrong?
Well, for starters, you didn’t have our badass plant based shopping list. Kidding. Sort of.
Usually when you’re on a diet philosophy change, you’ve got all the good intentions in the world. But the grocery store has become crazy confusing with all the claims of ‘natural’, ‘organic’, and ‘healthy’ clouding our judgement. Yes, Oreos are in fact vegan. That little tidbit right there should confuse the hell out of you.
So we’ve put together our ultimate plant based shopping list. These are all of the essentials that you’ll need to succeed with a plant based diet. Actually, let’s be honest, these are simply the foods you need to follow ANY quality, nutrient dense whole foods diet. Even if you’re not a veg head, or if you’re only looking to go sans meat a couple days a week, this plant based shopping list will help you stock your kitchen with healthy, nourishing foods that’ll make you look good and feel even better.
REMEMBER: this is a long ass list. A lot of the time people will throw a plant based shopping list at you, and you look at ALL the things you need to buy, and then laugh. Yeah, right. Who’s got the money for that?! Not us. So here’s what we suggest with this list: take inventory and see what you DO have. Then choose the items that you’re most likely to try using first, and buy them. As the weeks go on, your kitchen arsenal will grow, and you’ll have less to buy each time (aside from fresh produce).
So yes, you may put the eye roll away for now friend. We’ll no doubt give you the opportunity to use it again sooner rather than later.
The Ultimate Plant Based Shopping List
* Disclaimer: this portion of the list could literally go on forever and should be modified to suit your own tastes and what’s in season. These are just some of our favorite produce items that are usually available year round, and make it easier to snack on veggies and incorporate them into meals.*
- Bell Pepper
- Green Beans
- Squash (butternut, spagehtti)
- Berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- Brown Rice
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Quick Cooking Steal Cut Oats
- Rolled Oats
- Spouted Grain Bread (we love Ezekiel)
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Almond Butter
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- White Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Almond milk (or any other nondairy variation such as cashew, hemp, etc. – read our article on the best nondairy milk choices here)
- Kite Hill spread
- Nondairy coconut oil butter spread (we like Earth Balance)
- Nondairy creamer (if you need it in your drinks)
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Olive oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Coconut oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Nutritional Yeast
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Protein Powder
- Salad Mix (check the ingredients and make sure there’s not a ton of added sugar or fats – simple is better)
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Happy shopping dreamers!
Let us know if we left out any of your plant based favorites and we’ll add it to the list!